Tuesday, January 03, 2006

garden time isn't far away

i know, i know. it's winter. but i start looking for signs of spring as soon as the first day of winter. i've started getting my seed catalogs in the mail, and walmart has their racks of seed packets out. i know not everybody sees the excitement in this, but we garden junkies see it as a ray of hope. and my husband keeps reminding me that the days are getting longer. i start my greenhouse up in later february and early march so the plants will be ready for farmers market in mid may. i sell mostly herb plants and lesser known novelty plants just for fun.
and, in case anyone is counting(and i am), there are just 75 days till spring!!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

You sound like my dad! He has little peat pods I call cookies in the basement, where he starts his stuff under grow lights. He talks to them and is a fabulous gardener. Like you he's always planning what will be planted and where. He too orders seeds and tries each year to get some new or different something. It is his passion and I believe his way of communing with mother nature. Almost spirtual, I think.

I saw signs of spring, just got in from my walk. And while cool here in Central Ohio it is sunny and bright. I saw the beginning fuzziness of a pussywillow tree, and heard the woodpecker in a nearby tree. So....I'm with ya.
Enjoy!