Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Spring is in the air

It's been awhile since i've written anything. My mother-in-law had a heart attack, then a stroke, then passed away. at least my Husband,Pete, and his brother, Scott, were able to get to Texas in time to talk to her while she could still communicate and that meant alot to them. she was flown back here and was laid to rest on Saturday. busy weekend, lots of family in town.
Spring is just 12 days away and it's beginning to show. I've got daffodils, crocus, snow drops, and tiny little early iris in bloom. The little black pussywillow i bought last year worked very hard and produced one precious little black pussyfoot. It's so cute. And the local grocery store has frost tolerant pansies for sale. I was a good girl and didn't buy any (yet).
I walked around the yard looking at how everything faired over the winter (what little winter we had). I found the tips of the peonies poking through the ground, as well as primroses, pasque flower, sedum, creeping phlox, daylilies, surprise lilies, and columbines. I am soooo stoked.
Pete got the stuff out of the greenhouse that had to be there while they worked on son's truck in the garage. Now i can get started on planting seeds. I've got to get herbs started , some annual vines, and see what else strikes my fancy. I've got to get the potted perennials cleaned up and set back outside next to the greenhouse. Some have already started coming back up. I've got to get busy. I've been invited back to a local church's community day sale on April 29th. sort of a flea market thing. I had a lot of fun there last year. And i got an e-mail that the farmer's market will begin on May 20th this year. that just gives me about 6 or 7 weeks to get things growing.
It's pouring down rain now and is supposed to rain and thunderstorm for the next 3 or 4 days. Yup, it's spring in Indiana. Can mushrooms be far behind?

1 comment:

Karla said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL passing. I hope Pete is doing alright during this time. You're in my thoughts.

Spring has sprung here and we are so enjoying it. I posted a few flower pics on my blog. But I really want to go around town and take pics of the streets...they're gorgeous lit up with flowering trees and azaleas. :) Maybe I'll do that today...